Hagoort (also Van Hagoort)
For younger generations of ancestors who are descended from this family:
|see page on||Boll|
The family took their name from Hagoort (or Haechoort), which used to be a village in "het Land van Altena" east of Dordrecht
and south of Gorinchem, see map, where they were living at the time. Towards the end of the second
World War the old village was destroyed, and nowadays a few scattered new farms and houses remain. Hagoort could however not
have been the original hometown of this family, since Gerrit Adriaensz' was called "the Hollander", meaning that he must have
had his roots in the Province of Holland (Gorinchem?), apparently unlike most people in Hagoort, who probably would have
been from Brabant. More information on the Hagoort family can be found in
Piet Groeneweg's homepage.
(See 13 generations back)
(blood-relationship 0,012 %)
* ? x ? (wife unknown, married around 1510) + ?
(Not know if any other children)
Gerrit ? (?-?)
(See 12 generations back)
(blood-relationship 0,024 %)
* 1515? x ? (wife unknown, married around 1540) + ?
(Not know if any other children)
Adriaen Gerritsz. (1515?-?)
(See 11 generations back)
1. Gerrit Adriaensz. (van Hagoort)
(blood-relationship 0,049 %)
* 1545? x ? (wife unknown, married around 1580) + 1638?
Gerrit was called "de Hollander". In this generation, "Hagoort" was probably not yet established as a family name.
2. Cornelis Adriaensz.
* 1546? + ?
Cornelis was a "poorter" of Gorinchem on 7-9-1588
3. Peter Adriaensz.
* 1547? + ?
4. Jacobus Adriaensz.
* 1548? + ?
5. Jan Adriaensz.
* 1549? + ?
Gerrit Adriaensz. (van Hagoort) (1545?-1638?)
(See 10 generations back)
1. Jacobus Gerritsz. Hagoort
* 1574? + ?
2. Aert Gerritsz. Hagoort
* 1576? x I. Marijke Cornelisd. II. Emmeke Samuelsd. (Dussen 14-10-1626) + ?
3. Sophia Gerritsd. Hagoort
* 1578? x David der Pyre (also De Pierre or Du Piere) + ?
Sophia's husband was the first Protestant clergyman of Hill and Babyloniënbroek in "het Land van Altena" from 1610 to 1652. He was a "Gomarist" (or "contra-remonstrant"), representing a strict school of thought which emphasized predestination, rather than free will. Even as the 80-years war of independence from Spain was still not quite finished, great religious and political conflicts arose within the emerging Dutch state between the "Gomaristen" and the "Arminianen" (or "remonstranten"), who held more liberal beliefs. The reverend David had quite a feud with his Arminian colleague Grevius in Heusden. Fortunately for David and Sophia, "Stadhouder" Prince Maurits of Orange decided in 1617 to end these conflicts by supporting the Gomarists and ban the Arminian school of thought. As a way of making this very clear, the former political teacher of the Prince, the able and well-loved "raadspensionaris" (acting head of government) Johan van Oldenbarneveldt, an Arminian who also had differing views on ending the war with Spain, was executed in 1618 on fabricated charges of "high treason". The reverend Grevius was dismissed. David and Sophia's daughter Janneke wanted to marry her uncle Jacob Gerritsz. "Hollander" from Hagoort (apparently after the death of Leijntje Jansd. van Son?) but her father was very much against this. We do not know how this ended. There is also a reference to Maria Davids du Piere (who must have been another daughter of David and Sophia), who was the second wife of Dirck Dircksz. van Clootwijck, related in the 4th degree to our ancestor Jan Reynaerts van Clootwijck (1440-1518).
4. Feijken Gerritsd. Hagoort
* 1580? + ?
5. Peter Gerritsz. Hagoort
(blood-relationship 0,098 %)
* 1584? x Leijntje Jansd. van Son (around 1630) + ? (before 29-4-1662)
6. Adriaan Gerritsz. Hagoort
* 1585? + ?
7. Cornelis Gerritsz. Hagoort
* 1615 + 1653?
Peter Gerritsz. Hagoort (1584?-1662?)
and Leijntje Jansd. van Son (?-1670?)
(See 9 generations back)
1. Jan Petersz. Hagoort
(blood-relationship 0,195 %)
* 1610? x Christina ("Stijntje") van Oort (around 1640) + 18-11-1701 (Meeuwen)
One month after his own death, Jan's wife Stijntje also died.
2. Pieter Petersz. Hagoort
* 1612? + 27-8-1700 (Meeuwen)
3. Peterken Petersd. Hagoort
* 1614? + ?
4. Hilleken Petersd. Hagoort
* 1616? x Nicolaas ("Claes") Claeszn. van den Assem + 7-3-1698 (Meeuwen)
5. Gerrit Petersz. Hagoort
* 1620? x Aletta Eymbertsd. Verburgh + 1697? (Eethen)
Occupation: "schout" of Eethen
6. Hendrik Petersz. Hagoort
* 1620? x Wilhelmina Stael + ?
Occupation: "schepen" in Meeuwen
Jan Petersz. Hagoort (1610?-1701)
and Christina van Oort (1612?-1701)
(See 8 generations back)
1. Jan Jansz. Hagoort
* ? (between 1670 and 1680) x Grietje Verkoy + ?
2. Peter Jansz. Hagoort
* ? (between 1660 and 1670) x Wilhelmina Stael + ?
3. Catlijna Jansd. Hagoort
* ? (between 1660 and 1670) x Peeter Thomasz. Seijlmans + ?
(Catlijna's husband could have been related to the Zijlmans family in our tree.)
4. Jacomina Jansd. Hagoort
(blood-relationship 0,39 %)
* ? (between 1660 and 1670) x Adriaen Boll (around 1705) + 8-10-1726 (Eethen)
For her descendants see the page on Boll.
(Back to chapter Genealogy)
(Back to top of this page)